Friday, November 2, 2012

Color Theory: Monochromatic Rooms

In trying to decorate my little nest with my new hubby choosing a color scheme has been downright frustrating.  What colors do I like? How do they look together? What do we want the room to feel like (they say that color invokes emotions so this is serious business people!)? I'm ashamed to say that we have been here just about a year and still haven't decided on one and so our humble abode is still stark white with just the essential furniture.

I have no formal training as a decorator or designer, however, when it comes to design I seem to know what does or doesn't look right.  Maybe more so what "feels" right. However, I can't often articulate exactly why.  The more and more I learn about design and decorating, the more and more I'm learning that there are some basic principles that have to be understood--there's a language, there's a toolbox.  Color theory is one of these basic principles. Enter the color wheel-it's such an invaluable and nifty little tool in making sure your color scheme makes sense and is cohesive.




Colors can be paired in 4 different schemes or ways--monochromatic, analogous, complementary and split complementary.

I personally believe monochromatic is one of the more challenging rooms to do.  Monochromatic simply means using the tints or shades of one color throughout a room. In other words, you stay within the same column on the color wheel.



Done wrong, it can easily look like your color just threw up all of your room and worst yet, can come out completely boring. But, if done right, it can be super sophisticated, soothing and modern and your room can really shine.





Did you see that coffee table! Fa-bu-loooouuuus!  I think I'll be adding this rug and coffee table to my wish list!


Happy Friday!

Images via Ellenor Design, Decor PadAttic Mag, There's no Place Like Home, Elle Decor

No comments:

Post a Comment